Sunday, November 25, 2012

Into the Mountains

From Mexico City we headed to the pyramids in Teotihuacan, which are the second largest in the world.  We spent the afternoon exploring the area and climbing the endless stairs to the top.  We got back in the busses and drove to Toluca, which is the highest city in Mexico.  In case you were wondering, some places (i.e. in the mountains) its freezing!  I had no idea that it would be so cold in Mexico, so I walk off the bus with every layer I could put on.












I was hosted with Lorna, who is a PR from Ireland, and we stayed with Jahzeel, a cousin of one of my cast mates.  You know you are in Mexico when your host mom gives you two shots tequila at 11:30 at night.  I knew I was going to have a great week in Toluca. 







Tuesday morning we had to up early because we headed to another city called Nocalpan to work in the schools.  We spent the day working with the students in the classrooms and doing workshops.  We facilitated a workshop that would get the students to think about ways to make a different in the world and think more globally.  

The next day we returned to the school in Nocalpan for a show for the community and the students.  It's amazing how popular Up with People (Viva la Gente) is in Mexico.  It's like we are superstars and everyone wants our pictures and autographs.  After the show, we had to have a backstage exit because we couldn't get through the crowd to the busses.  Furthermore, we had to have people stand guard as we exited because people kept following us.  


The next day we headed to a high school in Toluca, where I facilitated a three-hour workshop about global leadership with Vera from The Netherlands.  I was actually so amazed at how engaged the students were and how deep our conversations became after only a short time in the classroom.  We talked about global values, the importance of decision making, how to communicate across cultures, and what it means to be a global citizen.  After working with the students, I realized my much I really enjoy facilitating and teaching students.  


That evening, Lorna, 
Jahzeel, and I rented a movie and ordered pizza.  We ended up laying in Jahzee's bed for hour laughing and making jokes all night.  I do not remember laughing so hard in such a long time.  It was a nice relief to just be lazy and have fun.  

Friday we went to another high school and I facilitated the same workshop with Kelli, our education coordinator.  We had a fantastic group of students and I really learned a lot about my own views and leadership just by listening to their discussions.  Half way through the class the students had but us Mexican snacks to try and wanted to take us out for lunch with them. We unfortunately had to rehearse, but Kelli and I grew very fond of our class and were excited for them to come to the show.
We had rehearsal as normal, which consists of running through a majority of the show including our major dance numbers like our medleys.  We generally run through the entire song without stopping unless we have a significant problem with blocking, sound, or lighting.  We ate a quick dinner and then performed our show for another enthusiastic crowd that cheered the entire show.  




Saturday was host family day and Lorna and I slept in and rested well.  Once we lazily got ready for the day we went shopping at the mall.  Lorna and I wandered around the mall looking through all the stores and I ended up finding a new #2 shirt and a nice jacket.  In UWP we use a number system to know what our dress code is for the day.  A #1 is our nicest attire with a jacket, button up shirt, and tie-which we rarely get to wear.  Our #2 is what we wear every travel day when we meet our new host families, which consists of a collared shirt.  Our #3 is more casual, but still presentable and appropriate in public settings.  We where our #4 during rehearsals-I wish I had more #4 attire, since I sweat so much during a show day.  And finally our #5 consist on anything that we are comfortable with getting ripped and covered in paint.  I can no longer process appropriate attire unless its by our number system.  When I am walking around a store I now see clothes as numbers-shopping will never be the same.  It's even gotten to the point that when I see a colorful, bright dress shirt, I think to myself, "Wow that would be a great show costume."


After shopping we headed to a Mexican party at a ranch.  
Jahzeel took us to her cousins party who was also hosting a bunch up UWP students.  The first thing we were served were huge pitchers of tequila. After enjoying a drink and talking with cast mates a mariachi band started playing so we all began to dance, and I had a blast dancing with my host mom  who taught me proper Mexican dancing technique, which consisted of a lot of hip action.  Then, a black stallion came out from the barn and we all took turns riding the horse and taking pictures.  We all had such a fantastic evening together dancing, singing, eating, drinking, and soaking in the Mexican culture. 














After the party, Lorna, Jahzeel, and I went to a wedding reception to help Jahzeel work.  She is a wedding planner and also rents a photo booth at receptions.  Lorna and I helped Jahzeel set up the booth and then spent some time trying on all the different hats and accessories and taking pictures.  We laughed while we set up the booth and took silly pictures together.  


I will always remember my week with Jahzeel because of all the laughs we shared together and her unending generosity.  My week with Jahzeel reminded me of the importances of being able to relax and laugh-sometimes for no reason.  I am usually more quiet when I first meet a new host family, but the first night I met Jahzeel, we were already laughing and I had felt like I had known her for years.  I very much look forward to keeping in touch her Jahzeel and I am blessed to know have her in my life.


Sunday morning we began our 36-hour trek to the northern part of Mexico to Ciudad Obregon.  On day one we spent 15 hours in the bus stopping only three times for breaks.  We arrived at our hotel in Mazatlan, right on the beach, at 11:30 pm where we then sat down to have dinner.





No comments:

Post a Comment