Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Into the Alps

On Monday morning we made our way back across Switzerland and crossed the boarder into Liechtenstein.  Liechtenstein is one of the smallest countries in the world and only has a population of 38,000 people.  When we arrived into the country we were dropped off at a bus stop and had to take all of our carry-ons with us.  We were having an "Amazing Race" competition.  Since the country is so small, we had to make our way to our host-pickup site in Vaduz.  We were divided into teams and then we were off.  We were given different places to see and things to do as we made our way into the city.  Liechtenstein has a royal family that lives in a medieval castle on a mountain that overlooks the entire city.  So, we obviously made our way slowly up the huge mountain to look at the castle.  As we were admiring the beautiful castle, and catching our breath, we watched the princess and her children drive into the castle.  I thought about going up to the front door to say hello, but I was not sure if strangers were allowed near the castle doors.






After the hike up the mountain, we were too exhausted to go anywhere else so, we went souvenir shopping and sat down to eat.  We made it back in time for our allocation meeting.  I was hosted alone for the week with a kind man and his girlfriend in a beautiful apartment that was surrounded by the Alps.  I was even blessed to have my own piano in my bedroom.

Tuesday was a full day of internal time with the cast.  In the morning we listened to a fascinating presentation by four of our cast mates on gender roles.  The presentation really got us thinking about how we perceive others and helped us to think in a more open-minded way.  Following the presentation, we had a country transition presentation where we learned all about the Netherlands and what to expect for the next week.

In the afternoon we learned how to answer questions about Up with People when being interviewed as well as how to give a brief overview of Up with People and what we do if we only have a short time to explain the program.  It was a very educational and enjoyable internal day.

That evening I took a long bike ride through the beautiful Alps along the Rhine River as the sun was setting.  It was a moment where I could not believe how lucky I was to see such beauty.






Wednesday and Thursday were Community Impact days.  I worked with eight other cast mates for the two days and we were asked to put workshops together for a group of 40 children as well as teach them a few songs and dances that they would perform for their families on Thursday evening.  It was an extremely exhausting two days with all the fun games we played together and all the running around.  It was also very difficult to teach the children songs and dances because very few of them spoke English. However, in two days time, the children learned two dances and were able to sing "Up with People."  As we were practicing for their show on Thursday night, I walked into the room where the children were practicing on stage.  I walked into the room and saw all the children holding hands and singing "Up, up with people, you meet them wherever you go."  It was a moment where I had to stop and realize how blessed I was to work with children in Liechtenstein and help them see the world in a different way.  


Thursday and Friday were show days, both of which were fantastic shows.  Both shows were almost sold out and the audiences loved the show.  My host mom was so happy to see such a positive and enthusiastic response from the audience because she said it was very uncommon for the people of Liechtenstein to show so much enthusiasm and liveliness during a performance.

Saturday was a special day because it was cast appreciation.  It was a day for the staff to appreciate us as a cast so, they spent all day making sure that we felt their love and appreciation.

Sunday was host family day and my family took me hiking in the Alps.  For the past four weeks, it has been very cloudy and cool while we have been in Europe.  However, when I woke up Sunday morning, there was not a cloud in the sky and it was 75 degrees outside.  It was the most perfect day to go hiking.  I wore my shorts and a long-sleeve shirt and we headed on the trail.  I could not believe we were hiking through snow and I was in my shorts.  We kept hiking higher and higher and the view became more breath-taking and beautiful.  My host dad wanted to take me up to the peak of one of the mountains so, he and I continued to go up.  We got to a point where I questioned the safety of my efforts to get to the peak because of all the snow on a very steep hill.  However, when I remember that I do not get to hike the Alps every day, nor do I get to witness such beauty as often, I had to risk it.  I made it to the very top and as a reward for my efforts, I got to sign a book with the names of everyone else who had made the trek to the top.  I remember standing on the peak and looking at all the Alps around and taking a mental image.  I closed my eyes and felt the sun warming my skin and the cool, crisp air brush my face.  I heard the snow crunch underneath my feet and I could smell the fresh scent of the pine trees below me.  It was a moment that I will never forget and a memory that I will always be grateful to have experienced.














It was the perfect way to end my unforgettable week in Vaduz.

No comments:

Post a Comment